|"To Save a Squirrel"|
|Season 5, Episode 95B|
|Airdate:||November 23, 2007|
|Written by:|| Luke Brookshier|
|← Previous||Next →|
|"The Inmates of Summer"||"Pest of the West"|
SpongeBob and Patrick are seen running and screaming. They run into Sandy, explaining that a beast is chasing them. The "beast" is really a grasshopper from the surface. SpongeBob and Patrick notice that Sandy is packing food, water, dynamite and tents in her jeep. SpongeBob and Patrick asks why she's packing. Sandy explains that she is packing for a camp in the wilderness. SpongeBob and Patrick ask if they could come and Sandy says no because the camp is dangerous. When Sandy gets in her jeep, SpongeBob and Patrick sneak in her trunk to try to go to her camp. SpongeBob and Patrick fall out of the jeep when they are on their way there. The good news is that they fall out with food, water, and a tent. They are in the wilderness. SpongeBob tells Patrick that he will set up the tent while Patrick starts a campfire. When the tent is set up, Patrick is finished with the campfire. SpongeBob then noticed that Patrick didn't make a campfire, he burned their food. SpongeBob tries to put out the fire with the tent, but that just set the tent on fire. He pours water on it which makes it go out. SpongeBob drinks the remaining water. By now, SpongeBob and Patrick burned their food, ruined their tent, and lost their water. Then they notice a cave. They go in the cave and find an old man. The old man explains that they are stuck in the cave now and that he was there for over 40 years. SpongeBob and Patrick try to make shelter. SpongeBob is then convinced that Patrick wants to eat him. The old man explains to SpongeBob to eat Patrick before he eats SpongeBob. SpongeBob and Patrick then make attempts to eat each other. The old man is impressed, and he then reveals that he is really Sandy. Sandy then gives SpongeBob and Patrick survivor badges. SpongeBob and Patrick suddenly got an interest of eating Sandy. The episode ends with Sandy saying "Next time I'll bring more granola."
Home video releases
- SpongeBob SquarePants: Pest of the West
- SpongeBob SquarePants: Season 5, Volume 2
- SpongeBob SquarePants: The First 100 Episodes
- SpongeBob SquarePants: The Complete 5th Season
- The line "eat or be eaten" said by the old man is a reference to Jack London's White Fang.
- It's revealed that Sandy has an underwater jeep and that her treedome has a back-garage. It's possible that she keeps her jeep in her garage.
- The title may be a reference to the Alfred Hitchcock film "To Catch a Thief".
- In SpongeBob's flashback, it's revealed that Squidward has voodoo dolls of SpongeBob and Patrick.
- This is the second episode where it falsely appears that Patrick is eating SpongeBob. The first time was in The Smoking Peanut.
- Patrick's "Golden spongecake" is a reference to twinkies.
- A literal plot hole - the old man said that SpongeBob and Patrick where going to be stuck in the cave forever, although you could see that they could have easily escaped through the huge, unblocked entrance to the cave.
- When SpongeBob checks to see if Patrick wants to eat him, the compass on his rock disappears.
- When SpongeBob runs away from Patrick for the first time, Patrick's rock disappears.
- It's impossible for SpongeBob and Patrick to survive without food, water, or shelter.
- When SpongeBob jumps out of the soup/stew, the bath beads (carrots) disappears.
- Despite its title, ironically, neither SpongeBob nor Patrick actually did save Sandy.
- The mud replica of SpongeBob's pineapple has disappeared in the end.
- If SpongeBob and Patrick are so hungry, then how come they didn't use the sponge cake, the soup, the carrots, the giant bread, or the ketchup?
- Even though Patrick burns his and SpongeBob's food, they have a sponge cake, carrots, two pieces of bread, an olive and a bottle of ketchup. They could have eaten all of that instead of trying to eat each other despite the "eat or be eaten" slogan.