|Country of origin:||United States|
|Original run:||February 1, 1991- October 28, 1996|
Welcome Freshmen was filmed in Orlando, Florida.
Seasons 1 and 2
The earlier episodes of the series consisted of comedy sketches that loosely followed a theme. Some of the comedy routines involved a tortoise named Mortis teaching children about safety, a documentarian named Mr. History who talks about past generations of freshmen, the vice principal Mr. Lippman imagining himself as a stand-up comedian, and a student named Billy Cushman who, though his appearance was occasional, provided not only a good example of how not to behave, but also a good example of flatulence.
Each episode had two or three short skits about the gang's misadventures in high school.
- Mr. Lippman, the vice principal, doing the morning announcements (at the same time, imagining how he'd really like to say them).
- The Merv-u-mentary, Merv's amateurish attempt at uncovering news and scandals at the high school.
- Mr. History, featuring the gang as high school students of a past time period.
- Mike Who, featuring close-ups of a sidelined high school basketball player driving the crowd wild with a single wave. Eventually cut after vice Principal Lippman said it was too distracting, resulting in a tense showdown between Lippman and Who.
In the later episodes, the sketch comedy format was abandoned and Welcome Freshmen became a standard situation comedy.
In the third season, the gang became sophomores, except Walter who flunked and was held behind. Merv and Tara left, and new characters came in: Manny and Erin (incoming freshmen) and Grant, a junior who was Erin's brother and soon became Alex's boyfriend.
- Jocelyn Steiner as Alex Moore
- Rick Galloway as Walter Patterson
- Chris Lobban as Kevin St. James
- Veronica Alicino as Miss Topaz
- Arian Waring Ash as Erin Kelly (1992–1993)
- Janis Benson as Miss Petruka
- Brock Bradley as Grant Kelly (1992–1993)
- Nicholas Caruso as Manny Barrington (1992–1993)
- David Rhoden as Merv (1991–1992)
- Jill Setter as Tara (1991–1992)
- Mike Speller as Mr. Elliott Lippman
- Nick Barnes as Billy Cushman