|"Welcome to the Chum Bucket"|
|Season 2, Episode 34A|
|Airdate:||January 21, 2002|
|Written by:|| Walt Dohrn|
|← Previous||Next →|
|"Gary Takes a Bath"||"Frankendoodle"|
"Welcome to the Chum Bucket" is the first segment of the 34th episode of SpongeBob SquarePants.
It is closing time at the Krusty Krab, and Mr. Krabs tells SpongeBob that he's going to play a card game against Plankton. SpongeBob is shocked at this. Mr. Krabs explains that Plankton is the worst card player in Bikini Bottom, and he's been winning every week for the last 15 years. In the morning, he tells SpongeBob that he lost, and Mr. Krabs bet SpongeBob's contract. SpongeBob is taken to the Chum Bucket and forced to work for Plankton, who commands him to make a Krabby Patty, threatening to remove his brain and put it in a robot if he refuses to do what he's told. However, SpongeBob is unable to work in the Chum Bucket's cold, laboratory-like kitchen and Karen suggests Plankton to show SpongeBob compassion and understanding so that he'll obey him. Plankton goes to great lengths to accommodate SpongeBob's working conditions, eventually converting the Chum Bucket kitchen into an exact replica of the Krusty Krab kitchen. However, SpongeBob is still not satisfied, and demands even more of Plankton, acting like a spoiled brat.
Eventually, Plankton takes out SpongeBob's brain and implants it in the robot as a punishment. However, the robot also refuses to make a Krabby Patty, so Plankton restores SpongeBob back to normal and gives him back to Mr. Krabs, saying that he can't stand him and admitting that cheated in the card game. Mr. Krabs welcomes him back and encourages SpongeBob to return to work. However, SpongeBob still does not want to make a Krabby Patty, but when Mr. Krabs starts becoming angry, he quickly goes back to work.
- The magazine that Robot SpongeBob is reading has a SpongeBob comic strip in it, featuring SpongeBob, Patrick, and Squidward.
- The book Plankton reads to SpongeBob is also seen in "Grandma's Kisses".
- At the beginning of the episode, right when Plankton appears, there's a bottlecap laying on the ground. The logo on this bottlecap is a variation of the Pepsi logo emblem.
- This is the third time Mr. Krabs' arms came off. The first two were in "Hooky" and "Squid's Day Off".
- The robot chef reappeared in The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie PC game.
- The Chum Bucket set in Lego SpongeBob SquarePants features the Robot SpongeBob as well.
- Mr. Krabs' singing voice in this episode is similar to Louis Armstrong.
- When Plankton gives Mr. Krabs $50 to take away SpongeBob, it parodies the O. Henry short story, "The Ransom of Red Chief".
- There was a deleted scene where Plankton was taking out SpongeBob's brain before he puts SpongeBob's brain into the robot.
- When Plankton gives Mr. Krabs $50 there were 3 dollar bills. That means he gave him two $20 bills and one $10 bill.
- Plankton breaks the fourth wall when he says to the audience "I put the brain in the robot, you know...".
- This episode was the subject of a clue on the episode of Jeopardy! that aired on October 10, 2005, during Back to School Week.
- Mr. Krabs' and Spongebob's duet is almost certainly a parody of the popular show tune, "A House Is Not A Home."
- The premise of Robot Spongebob is similar to the plot of The Simpsons "Treehouse of Horror II" segment featuring Homer's nightmare. Homer, a lazy worker, is kidnapped by Mr. Burns and Smithers, who put his brain into a robot. The robot ends up being lazy and refusing to work, just like Homer.
- Fanboy and Chum Chum also had an episode with some similarities to this one except Fanboy willingly let Oz put his brain in a robot because he was trying to help the class get a bouncy house. This one as usual fails becuse note: Fanboy has the same low intelligence in the robot as in his normal body which ends up on a 2 year round trip to mars and Fanboy's brain in a toaster. There is a later episode in which Fanboy lost his brain again. He revealed Yo didn't know Fanboy had a brain to lose.
- When SpongeBob was bathing, his sleeves were shown. This could be an error.
- At the end of the episode, when it shows the Krusty Krab, a "Help Wanted" sign can be seen on the right window.
Home video releases
- SpongeBob SquarePants: Halloween
- SpongeBob SquarePants: The Complete 2nd Season
- SpongeBob SquarePants: The First 100 Episodes
- SpongeBob SquarePants: SpongeBob, You're Fired!
|This page uses content from Encyclopedia SpongeBobia. As with Nickipedia, the text of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike License 3.0 (Unported) (CC-BY-SA).|