SpongeBob wakes up on a normal day as usual. He looks out his window and sees the mailman riding by on his bike. He says "Hi" to the mailman. This causes the mailman to get distracted and a truck crashes into him. After that, SpongeBob wants to spend time with his friends; however, he ends up upsetting them. He accidentally breaks Gary's shell, crushes Patrick's cake, disturbs Squidward's beauty sleep, destroys Sandy's robot, and deep fries Mr. Krabs' money. SpongeBob decides to leave Bikini Bottom, as all his friends started to hate him (and cruelly calling him "idiot boy"). As he leaves, he is attacked by canibals who attempt to kill & devour him. While he runs from the canibals, he falls off a cliff and bumps his head, he gets a lump but his bundle hits him on his head knocking him unconscious. Back in Bikini Bottom, Patrick and Sandy (who had supposedly come over to apologize to SpongeBob for the other day) find Gary who is extremely huge and overweight and a note from SpongeBob, explaining that he has left forever. Everybody is upset and guilty that SpongeBob is gone, with the obvious exception of Squidward, who is delighted.
Meanwhile, SpongeBob wakes up with amnesia. A couple of fish give him a new name, "CheeseHead BrownPants", so that they can steal his possessions and take advantage of his amnesia. All SpongeBob has left is a bottle of bubble soap. He wanders around until he ends up in New Kelp City where he attempts to get a job. Each time he gets a job he uses his bubble blowing ability to help him, but this strikes fear into all the residents of the city. This activity attracts the attention of the Bubble Poppin' Boys and their leader, Trevor who have scared the city into never blowing bubbles. SpongeBob uses his ability to get rid of the gang and is rewarded by getting the position of mayor of New Kelp City.
Back in Bikini Bottom, Mr. Krabs is hoping for the return of SpongeBob so he can prepare Krabby Patties, while Patrick and Sandy want their friend back. Squidward does not seem to care until Mr. Krabs offers him a reward of a Fabergé egg. He then reluctantly chooses his love of art over his hatred of SpongeBob and the trio see a newspaper stand showing news of SpongeBob's position as mayor, but when they go to New Kelp City to retrieve him behind Squidward's back, he cannot remember them. They then manage to kidnap SpongeBob and return him to the Krusty Krab, but he wants to return to New Kelp City. Squidward, who does not care if SpongeBob stays or not slips on a greasy spatula and accidentally throws his egg onto SpongeBob's head. The impact gives SpongeBob his memory back, and Mr. Krabs, Sandy, and Patrick apologize for running him out of town. But even so, SpongeBob still wants to return to his position as mayor, because he feels bubble blowing needs to be commonplace in; New Kelp City society. At that moment a news report comes on the television saying that the bubbles in New Kelp City are causing mayhem, and he is being threatened by a thug. Upon hearing this, SpongeBob has second thoughts about going back to New Kelp City, and decides to stay in Bikini Bottom. And then Squidward's head opens and he throws his brain in the garbage when SpongeBob change back forever.
Home video releases
- SpongeBob SquarePants: WhoBob WhatPants?
- SpongeBob SquarePants: The First 100 Episodes
- Rather than the traditional SpongeBob theme playing at the beginning of the episode, the lyrics have been altered to say things such as "WhoBob WhatPants".
- This is the second episode to have an alternate theme song, between "Christmas Who?" and "Truth or Square".
- Sandy appeared to be either MIG or TIG welding. However, she had no protective clothes on except for her head shield (especially dangerous as she is covered in fur), and her gloves appeared to be rubber instead of rawhide.
- Mr. Krabs' nose swells up and explodes with a jet of water. Real-life crabs can do it but don't squirt water through their nose, they can squirt it from their eyes.
- In "Texas", Sandy uses a handle to flush her tears out of her helmet. However in this episode she is not seen using it.
- In "New Digs", SpongeBob was one minute late and Mr. Krabs was okay with this. In this episode, he is not okay with SpongeBob being 10 seconds late.
- It maybe that Patrick`s mothers birthday is during the day or later, and ever since when did Patrick made a cake as of last time that SpongeBob got him a cake for a particular Birthday.
- Bikini Bottom's population is revealed to have been 538 (SpongeBob crosses out the eight before leaving, so the population was 537 for the duration of the episode).
- The mayor of New Kelp City is seen in the episodes Doing Time, The Great Snail Race, and Drive Thru. He will be seen again in the episode Safe Deposit Krabs where he is at the grand opening of the Bank of Bikini Bottom Bank.
- This is the first time SpongeBob appeared on a title card. SpongeBob will also appear on the title card as a drawing in Oral Report and in a close-up view in InSPONGEiac.
- Nat is shown in Bikini Bottom and in New Kelp City.
- Mr. Krabs reads SpongeBob's note without an eyesight problem, but in "Greasy Buffoons", he reads with glasses.
- Most of the citizens of NKC are citizens of Bikini Bottom.
- Squidward's hatred for SpongeBob is clearly demonstrated in this episode, as he attempts to sabotage the search efforts, to the point where Mr. Krabs has to bribe him.
- In the UK and Ireland it's scheduled as Who Bob What Pants.
- The people who wrote this episode were the same people who wrote Atlantis SquarePantis.
- The Bubble Poppin' Boys are a parody of The Burger Palace Boys in the original musical Grease.
- The title of the episode is a parody of the novel What Ever Happened to Baby Jane? by Henry Farrell, complete with the words "what" and "ever" being separate from each other.
- This episode's title may be also a reference to an old Cartoon Network short series Whatever Happened to...Robot Jones?.
- After SpongeBob wakes up, the two hoboes taking his clothes are similar to the two men in A Christmas Carol, and could be a parody of them.
- New Kelp City is an obvious parody of New York City.
- Mr. and Mrs. Dollar could possibly be a spoof of Jack and Rose from the movie Titanic.
- There was a hole in the top of SpongeBob's water helmet, however when he went back out into the water outside the treedome, you could still see the top of the water in his helmet despite the fact there was a hole in the top of the helmet.
- When Squidward says "You mean this can actually find SpongeBob" his voice is out of sync with the animation.
- When SpongeBob puts his pants on, his shoes are automatically on.
- When "Mr. Dollar and Mrs. Dollar" are in the grease, instead of sinking in and never coming back out, they crust and singe.
- When the builder hides behind a pile of metal, a lot less of him shows than how tall he is, and the fish don't have knees.
- When the line of people are afraid of the bubble, it would have either floated upward or popped before it got to the front of the line.
- In a scene where Sandy pounced the door, Patrick landed on his milkshake, but his milkshake was intact, which is physically impossible, unless it went up his mouth.
- When Squidward is shown driving SpongeBob's limo the front flag is missing.